Posted on Sept 9, 2019
AMERICAN BOARD FOR OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSES
ABOHN, located in Palos Heights, IL is currently accepting application for the Executive Director position. The Executive Director is an innovative leader of the mission and goals of ABOHN and is accountable to the American Board for Occupational Health Nurses, Inc. (ABOHN) through the Chair and the Governing Council. The primary areas of responsibility include certification oversight, regulatory compliance oversight, leadership in occupational health nursing certification, participation in the continuum of the strategic plan, business development, customer service, and fiduciary accountability. For the full job description, please follow this link.
- Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the programs and activities of ABOHN to assure that objectives are attained and plans fulfilled according to the directives of the Board of Directors.
- Oversees the certification process applying continuous quality improvement concepts for nurses in the specialty of occupational health nursing, which includes the following credentials: Certified Occupational Health Nurse (COHN), Certified Occupational Health Nurse Specialist (COHN-S), and Case Management (CM).
- Recommends and participates in the formulation of new policies and procedures and exercises decision authority as delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Through management and leadership, meets or exceeds productivity goals, achieves economies of scale, applies creative, futuristic programming and sustainability planning for the corporation.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
- Certification oversight
- Regulatory compliance oversight
- Leadership in occupational health nursing certification
- Active participant in the continuum of the strategic plan
- Business development
- Customer Service
- Fiduciary Accountability
- Occupational Health Nurse, certified
- Master’s Degree or equivalent professional experience
- Experience in the following:
- public speaking
- writing professional papers
- financial management
- public relations
- organizational planning
- education and training
- scientific research
- quality management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with volunteer boards
- Knowledge of credentialing, testing and evaluation, preferred
Duties and Essential Functions:
The Executive Director is responsible for and has authority to accomplish the following duties within the limits of ABOHN’s Articles of Incorporation, bylaws, and policies and procedures.
- Ensures that the Board of Directors and Governing Council are fully informed on the condition of the corporation, and on all factors influencing them. Submits monthly activity reports to the ABOHN Chair with copies to the Board of Directors. Attends all Board and Governing Council meetings. Acts as a fiduciary for and on behalf of ABOHN.
- Identifies new markets and products.
- Plans, formulates and recommends for the approval of the Board of Directors basic policies and programs that will further the objectives of the corporation.
- Coordinates and supports strategic planning for the organization.
- Maintains accreditations and the Continuous Quality Improvement process/program
- Executes all decisions of the ABOHN Board of Directors. This will include monitoring vendor process, executing contracts, and maintaining and updating the ABOHN Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Collaborates with the office staff on all approved programs, projects, and major activities of the staff.
- Reviews/defines staff duties and responsibilities, establishes performance expectations, conducts performance assessments, and maintains a competitive salary structure.
- Provides, or delegates, the necessary liaison and staff support to all committee chairs and committees of ABOHN, to enable them to properly perform their function. Supports all Examination and Advisory committees as well as Research and ad hoc committees.
- Maintains effective relationships with other organizations, both public and private, and sees that the position of the corporation is enhanced in accordance with the policies and objectives.
- Coperates with the Finance Committee, and the Treasurer. Develops, recommends and, upon approval, operates within an annual budget. Ensures that all funds, physical assets, and other property of the organization are appropriately safeguarded and administered. Executes bylaw provisions with respect to an annual financial audit.
- Coordinates the development of U.S. and International credentialing programs.
- Prepares and executes professional presentations on issues relevant to the organization.
- Oversees the development of all ABOHN publications and materials and communications to certificants and applicants. Serves as executive editor of the newsletter, including writing, obtaining and editing articles.
- Promotes and coordinates research and related projects, prepares reports and coordinates the writing and publication of results on subjects deemed of importance to the corporation.
- Plans, organizes and directs certification promotion and retention of credentialed individuals, evaluates results and recommends policies, procedures and actions to achieve these ends.
- Works with the Managing Director for the planning, implementation and administration of all official meetings of ABOHN.
- Ensures maintenance of official minutes of the Board of Directors and other official meetings of ABOHN. Safeguards physical and electronic security for all files, legal and historic document, data bases, and other information in accordance with the policies of ABOHN.
- Carries out other responsibilities as required or deemed necessary by the Board of Directors or Governing Council.
- Provides consultation and assistance to the ABOHN Chair in the completion of duties and in any other way that facilitates effective staff leadership support during the term of office.
- Is accountable to ABOHN through the Chair and the Governing Council for the administration of the office.
- Serves as or provides staff support for all ABOHN committees.
- Maintains relationships with other associations, industries, government, and vendors.
- Expands ABOHN credentials both in the domestic and international markets.
If interested in this position, please send a copy of your CV/Resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The ED Search Committee will be accepting applications until September 30, 2019 or until a candidate is selected.