Posted Sep 16 2019
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) - UI Health Human Resources/University Health Services
The University of Illinois Hospital & Clinics (UI Health) is seeking an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) who reflects the mission, vision, and values of University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System, adheres to the UI Health Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and other regulatory and accreditation standards and maintains appropriate board certification as indicated by clinical practice area. An APRN is a registered nurse and holds a master's or doctoral degree. The APRN functions as part of the multidisciplinary health team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentialing committee to provide high-quality, cost-effective advanced nursing care to patients within the APRN's scope of practice. The APRN is required to have and maintain a faculty appointment in order to receive clinical privileges to practice at UI Health.
Scope of Practice:
Works within the Bylaws of the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System and in adherence to hospital and divisional policy. Works collaboratively with other providers in the care of patients. Performs an accurate history and physical examination of patients. Conducts comprehensive or episodic health assessments and develops patient care plans. Performs procedures according to clinical delineation of privileges. Provides prevention strategies and management of acute and chronic health problems. Orders and interprets tests, treatments, and therapies within the scope of practice. Prescribes medications, diet, supplies, prosthetic devices, and other home health aides or medication according to clinical privileges. Provides clear, concise, accurate, and legible documentation regarding patient care in the medical record. Provides education to patients, families, and significant others using established education materials. May provide other clinical duties within the scope of practice as directed under the emergency operation plan. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility to positively impact the financial performance of the organization while ensuring optimal patient care and safety.
Advocates for patients, families, co-workers, the community, and the nursing profession. Integrates evidence-based knowledge and clinical expertise in decision-making. Participates in peer review and competency assessment activities. Seeks experiences and formal and independent learning activities to maintain and develop clinical and professional skills and knowledge. Establishes an effective relationship with the entire care team. May advance the profession through presentations and publications. May lead and assist in research and evidence based practice through participant selection, coordination of the protocol(s), data collection, and other associated activities. Demonstrates accountability for professional conduct. Advances professionalism by seeking opportunities to develop new skills and to enhance current ones.
Provides comprehensive teaching strategies for patients and their families. May provide education and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students and current and new employees, including but not limited to medical staff, residents, advanced practice providers and nursing. May develop or participate in programs to meet continuing education needs of staff. Provides formal and/or informal education or mentorship to both internal and external groups pertinent to area of specialty.
Communication & Leadership:
Demonstrates excellence in written and verbal communication, public speaking, presentation skills, critical thinking and decision making skills. Clearly understands the implications of situations and uses sound judgment when dealing with multiple disciplines. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment and view success in relationship to group success. Participates in program development. Acts as a resource for clinical staff in the practice setting. Consults with management in assessment, problem-solving, decision-making, and evaluating clinical/system issues and models of care. Identifies and participates in quality-improvement initiatives within the practice setting and initiates change as appropriate. Leads multidisciplinary teams to provide integrated delivery of patient care services. May participate in the development and revision of protocols or guidelines to reflect evidence-based changes in care management. May participate in activities that influence policy-making bodies to improve patient care.
Department/Specialty Specific Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with the attendance management administrators, employee relations designees, OAE, UHS, and the Workers Compensation partners as needed to provide clinical employee assessments based on an identified need in compliance with local, state, and federal mandates.
- Performs clinical case assessments related to workers' compensation restrictive duty options within the hospital, family medical leave usage (including flare-ups, temporarily reduced work schedule, late arrivals, temporarily medical accommodations), pregnancy act, ADA, restricted duty assignments based on a medical need, reasonable accommodations cases and short and long term disability case management.
- Provides coordination, oversight and clinical consultation for surveillance assessments such as: Advanced PPE, infectious diseases, asbestos, biological and chemical research. Provides aggregate reporting as needed.
- Provides clinical consultation and reviews of request and documentation from employees and their medical providers (as required per leave category) as to its sufficiency to support the leave requests.
- Provides clinical consultation and review of requests for additional documentation as needed from employee, including re-certification, as necessary.
- Serve as employee point of contact for the Attendance Management Unit's notification of absences related to intermittent family medical leave absences.
- Provides and analyzes quarterly (or as needed) attendance management reporting and data analytics.
- Conducts clinical assessments for family medical leave re-certifications and makes recommendations for second or third opinions if necessary.
- Conducts fitness for duty consults in partnership with the employee relations designees.
- Conducts proof status consults in partnership with the employee relations designees
- Monitors, flags and escalate potential attendance management matters as appropriate to Hospital Employee Relations, University Health Services (UHS), Office of Access and Equity (OAE) and Legal counsel as appropriate.
- Partners with the attendance management team to identify unit needs and conduct clinical assessments for management/leadership to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal mandates. and provide feedback when deemed necessary.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a plan to provide UIC Hospital physician consults specific to the Workers' Compensation cases, SURS disability, and family medical leave fiduciary responsibilities when completing the required documentation.
- Routinely provide one on one consultations for employees regarding various attendance management matters, to include employee/employer rights and responsibilities.
- Conducts case consults and monitoring of attendance management cases in collaboration with the attendance management administrators and the employee relations designees.
- Participates in University/Hospital Committees as assigned (University Leave Committee, University HR/PR Benefits Group, UIH HR internal PR policy/practices group).
- Graduation from accredited APRN program required.
- Current license as a Professional Registered Nurse and Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois required.
- Master's Degree in Nursing or Doctorate of Nursing Practice required.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) required.
- Certified as an Occupational Health Nurse Specialist (COHN-S) and Family Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner by the respective accreditation bodies preferred.
- Current controlled substance licensure if indicated by position.
- Effective communication skills (oral and written) that facilitate therapeutic relationships between physician, APRN and PA providers as well as college and hospital leadership and the multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, multidisciplinary collaboration, interpersonal communication, education, clinical experience and change management required.
- Documentation in the medical record to substantiate accurate billing.
- Intermediate computer skills.
Salary & Benefits:
UI Health offers competitive benefit packages, including: vacation days, paid holidays, Floating Holidays, State University Retirement System, tuition waiver, tuition discount for dependents, and excellent medical, dental, and vision packages.
For consideration, please submit a complete application and supplemental resume by October 7, 2019
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.