Recorded on Jul 19, 2023 Noon – 1 pm Eastern
Promoting Safety and Well-being: Mastering Safe Patient Handling and Mobility in Healthcare Settings
By Asha Roy, PhD, OTD, OTR/L, MBA, CSPHP
Join now to become AOHP member to enjoy the FREE live webinar member benefit. Click here to download the membership application form or join online.
This webinar aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the importance of safe patient handling and mobility in healthcare settings. It will cover essential topics including the definition and scope of safe patient handling and mobility, the risks associated with manual patient handling, the benefits of implementing safe patient handling programs, and the relevant legislation and guidelines in this field.
The presentation will begin by defining safe patient handling and mobility, emphasizing their significance in healthcare environments. Attendees will gain a clear understanding of the scope of these practices, including the various tasks and techniques involved in safely assisting and moving patients.
The risks associated with manual patient handling will be explored in depth, highlighting the potential physical and psychological harm that can arise from improper techniques or inadequate equipment. Attendees will learn to recognize common risk factors and understand the implications for both patients and healthcare workers. Practical examples and case studies will be presented to illustrate the importance of mitigating these risks.
Next, the webinar will delve into the benefits of implementing safe patient handling programs. Attendees will discover how such programs contribute to improved patient outcomes, reduced workplace injuries, enhanced staff well-being, and increased overall efficiency in healthcare settings. Concrete evidence, such as research studies and testimonials, will be shared to underscore the positive impact of these programs.
In addition, attendees will be informed about the legislation and guidelines pertaining to safe patient handling. Relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards will be outlined, ensuring that participants are aware of the legal obligations and best practices in their respective jurisdictions. The presentation will equip attendees with the knowledge and resources needed to ensure compliance and facilitate the implementation of safe patient handling practices in their healthcare facilities.
Expected Learning Outcomes:
1. Participants will develop a comprehensive understanding of safe patient handling and mobility, including the range of tasks involved and their significance in healthcare settings.
2. Attendees will be able to identify and assess the risks associated with manual patient handling, recognizing potential hazards and their impact on both patients and healthcare workers.
3. Participants will gain insights into the benefits of implementing safe patient handling programs, enabling them to advocate for and promote these programs within their healthcare organizations.
4. Attendees will acquire knowledge of the relevant legislation and guidelines related to safe patient handling, ensuring compliance and facilitating the adoption of best practices in their healthcare facilities.
Overall, this webinar aims to empower participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to prioritize safe patient handling and mobility, leading to improved patient care, enhanced staff well-being, and a safer healthcare environment for all.
1. By the end of the webinar, participants will be able to articulate the definition and scope of safe patient handling and mobility in healthcare settings, demonstrating comprehension through accurate explanations and examples.
2. Upon completion of the webinar, attendees will be able to assess the risks associated with manual patient handling, effectively identifying potential hazards and their impact on patient and healthcare worker safety.
3. By the conclusion of the webinar, participants will be able to recognize and evaluate the benefits of implementing safe patient handling programs in healthcare settings, outlining specific advantages such as improved patient outcomes, reduced work-related injuries, and enhanced staff morale.
Asha is an Occupational Therapist by trade with an extensive background in injury prevention and absence management. She has a doctorate in OT with a specialization in Administration and Practice Management and a Ph.D in Organizational Leadership that has allowed her to successfully navigate the organizational barriers associated with change management initiatives in large organizations. Asha has worked on safe patient handling program development in 20+ hospitals and two sub-acute rehabilitation & skilled nursing facilities with over 6,600 hospital and long-term care beds in New York. She works closely with the risk management division to analyze each injury towards identifying opportunities and vulnerabilities. Using her analytical skills and working with the finance team, her team successfully developed a plan to procure the required equipment for all sites while using the large size of Northwell Health System as leverage to negotiate pricing with various equipment vendors. Her engagement efforts have led to successful statewide education events (conferences and webinars) to promote current evidence-based safe patient handling and mobility practices. Additionally, she has served as Board Member and was the President in 2022 for the Association of Safe Patient Handling Professionals.
Requirements for Completion
Successful completion of this activity includes submitting an accurate registration, making necessary payment, and reviewing all activity slides and the webinar presentation. Completion of the evaluation form is required.
Type of Activity: Knowledge
Disclosures: AOHP does not guarantee, warrant, certify, verify, and/or authorize the content of this seminar, and/or any subsequent use of the information presented at this webinar. This webinar is not a clinical/medical service but is intended for educational purposes only. Planners of this educational activity have no real or apparent financial, professional or personal conflict of interest to disclose. Faculty/presenter disclosure is stated following each presenter’s bio-sketch. AOHP has implemented a mechanism to identify and resolve all conflicts of interest before the delivery of this educational activity.
Commercial or Sponsor Support: N/A
Continuing education Contact Hour: This activity awards one (1) contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 17664.
Conflict of Interest: A conflict of interest occurs when an individual has an opportunity to affect educational content about healthcare products or services of a commercial company with which she/he has a financial, professional or personal relationship.
The planners and presenter(s)/author(s) of this education activity have disclosed no relevant financial, professional or personal relationships with any commercial companies about this activity.
Non-Endorsement of Products: The Association of Occupational Health Professionals in Healthcare's accredited provider status refers only to continuing education activities and does not imply that there is real or implied endorsement of any product, service or company referred to in this activity nor of any company subsidizing costs related to the activity.