Chair, Research Committee Job Description
Position: Chair, Research Committee
Responsible to: Executive Board of Directors
The Research Committee Chair provides leadership to the Research Committee membership by collaborating with the executive board of directors and committee members in the development and implementation of the association’s research strategic plan to develop benchmarking data and evidence-based practice recommendations. The Research Chair will primarily report to the executive president, who will serve as a liaison to the board.
An active AOHP member and actively employed in the specialty of occupational health in healthcare; articulate and knowledgeable of the research process and opportunities for research within the specialty. Demonstrates ability to problem-solve while developing creative approaches for the accomplishment of the Association’s strategic plan. Demonstrates excellent written, verbal communication and critical thinking skills. Committed to working within established timelines.
Duration of service/position:
Selection: The position shall be posted for applicants appointed by the executive president and approved by the Executive Board. The Research Chair shall be asked to commit to a yearly appointment which can be renewed yearly.
Compensation: This is a non-compensated position.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Oversee the overall function and activities of the Research Committee.
2. Serve as editor/author of the AOHP Journal’s Ready to Research column.
3. Determine the frequency of committee meetings by conference call.
4. Promote and mentor members who are interested in conducting research in occupational health in healthcare.
5. Collaborate with AOHP Headquarters in the implementation of the Julie Schmid Research Award and ensure blind review of the proposals. If the chair of the committee is submitting a research proposal, the chair will designate a committee member to oversee this process.
6. Updates the national Executive Board liaison at least quarterly with any updates and progress reports on items that will impact the strategic plan.
7. Prepares and submits biannual written report to the executive board.
8. Provide input to the National Conference Committee to ensure that research findings are included in the educational topics of the conference.
9. Chairs the annual meeting of the committee at the national conference.